Sprouted Sattu Mavu | Age group - 8 months plus.
Sattu Mavu is a long hidden secret recipe from down South and has as many as 17 ingredients in every scoop the baby takes.
Many ingredients are sprouted separately, cooked separately, ground separately to keep all the flavours intact, and then mixed in a specific ratio making Sattu Mavu a very tedious meal. And was therefore, lost from our tradition.
But now mothers don’t have to worry about going through that ardent procedure to give their baby a complete balance diet full of protein and nutritions.
Below is the recipe to prepare around 1.5 Kg of Sattu Mavu. Since its a little time consuming we recommend to make it in bulk.
- 1. Brown or white rice - 100 gms
- 2. Raw wheat - 100 gms
- 3. Finger millet (ragi) - 100 gms
- 4. Jowar - 100 gms
- 5. Roasted gram – 100 gms
- 6. Whole green gram - 100 gms
- 7. Corn - 100 gms
- 8. Sabudana - 100 gms
- 9. Groundnut - 100 gms
- 10. Chickpea - 100 gms
- 11. Black gram - 100 gms
- 12. Horse gram - 100 gms
- 13. Cowpeas - 100 gms
- 14. Ajwain - 8 gms
- 15. Elaichi - 10 gms
- 16. Cashew - 50 gms
- 17. Pista - 50 gms
- 18. Badam - 50 gms
- 19. Fennel - 8 gms
You would need a Dehydrating machine to dehydrate (drying the moisture) ingredients. We do not prefer sun drying as sun drying kills 50% of the nutrition value and changes taste. Dust can also sit on the grains if they are kept out for sun drying. If you do not have a dehydrating machine you can get it from online stores like amazon.
Separately wash Ragi, Green gram, black gram, chickpea, Cowpeas, Jowar, horse gram, wheat, corn. Then, soak them overnight. Next morning, wrap each ingredient separately in a fresh and clean mulmul or muslin cloth and leave it for a minimum of 8 to 10 hours. Depending on their quality you will start seeing small sprouts oozing out from the cloth. Different ingredient take different time.
Method to prepare the mix:
- 1. Wash and Soak all the ingredients separately overnight.
- 2. Next morning, drain and rinse all the grain separately.
- 3. Put all the ingredients in dehydrator in separate trays.
- 4. After dehydrating the grains, dry roast each ingredients separately.
- 5. Let all the ingredients come to the room temperature.
- 6. Grind it to fine powder.
- 7. Sieve the mixture to get a smooth texture.
- 1. Take 2 tablespoon of mixture in a pan.
- 2. Add 2 cups of water.
- 3. Bring to boil and stir it till there are no lumps.
- 4. Keep boiling, till you get the desired consistency. Should take around 10 mins.
- 5. Fruit purees or vegetable purees must be added for enhancing taste.
- 6. Serve it lukewarm.
- 7. Use the mixture within 30 mins of preparation.
4 day rule :
If this is the 1st time you are serving this dish or introducing any other dish to your baby, then give it continuously for at least 4 days. Even if the baby pukes or gets loose motions for a couple of days. It is believed that babies take around 4 days to adjust with any new ingredient.If this is the 1st time you are serving this dish or introducing any other dish to your baby, then give it continuously for at least 4 days. Even if the baby pukes or gets loose motions for a couple of days. It is believed that babies take around 4 days to adjust with any new ingredient.
Choosing quality ingredients and cooking meals for your baby can be a daunting task specially for a new mother. But don’t let that come in between your child’s health. You may also click below and order from us. We get organic quality ingredients straight from farmers and cook in our studio kitchen, not in factories. We hate adding any artificial flavour, salt, sugar or preservatives. Just like how you would give it to your child.BUY SPROUTED SATTU MAVU MIX